Friday, January 20, 2006

Books & Miscellaneous Mental Meanderings

Hey, so I was in an alliterative mood this morning...I blame the donuts.

I’ve only got one book to talk about this week. Yes, I was a bit busy with Ryan’s birthday party, but the real reason there's only one is that I purposely read this one as slowly as possible. I love Sharon Lee & Steve Miller’s "Liaden Universe" series so much that I wanted to really savor the latest installment: ”Crystal Soldier.”

Not only do we finally meet the fabled Cantra yos’Phelium, the near-mythical founder of Clan Korval, but many of the mysteries inherent in the other books are at last explained (the origin of the Tree, etc.) so I do recommend that readers start with the other books in the series first. One can’t really appreciate the importance of many of the elements in this story without having read the other works (which, by the way are ALL excellent). My favorite is ”I Dare”, but it should probably be read last. I recommend starting with either "Local Custom" or "Pilot's Choice."

The next book in this duology, ”Crystal Dragon” is due out later this year. You can find out more about this fascinating universe and even download electronic versions of most of the stories at a nominal cost by going to the Korval Website.

In other news, I’m off to the L.A. Gift Show tomorrow, and am very excited about it. I’ve never been before and am looking forward to discovering heretofore unseen treasures (some of whom will undoubtedly insist on coming home with me). I’m not necessarily looking forward to the drive into downtown L.A. – this OC girl prefers to remain behind the “Orange Curtain” whenever possible, but the lure of potential new treasure is just too strong so I’ll be braving the 5 northbound tomorrow morning.

I’m continuing my “love-to-hate it” affair with “Project Runway” and just have to say that the skating costumes designed this week were a total disaster. And WHY does everyone keep choosing such BLAH colors: black, white, navy, maroon and more black. Blech! Chloe was the only one who did anything interesting with color with that beautiful aqua, but I didn’t like the neckline on her design. Still, it was FAR and AWAY better than Santino’s or Andrae’s (what WAS that thing with the weird draping and the dead bird on the shoulder and WHY Andrae didn't have to answer to the judges for that monstrosity I’ll never know). Whew! Still…can’t wait until next week!

Lastly, I haven't posted a picture in a while so thought I'd share one here. This is my latest treasure from Jeff Welsh:

I just loved the combo of the bright pink and sunny yellow. I can just see this little guy swimming around a tropical reef somewhere.

Who knows...maybe I'll find the perfect accent beads for this little guy at the show tomorrow? Ahhh...the anticipation...

Have a great weekend everyone!

KJ

No comments: