Thursday, April 26, 2007

Fun with words

For no particular reason, I felt like looking some words up in the dictionary today. I had this urge to get my definition on (so to speak). And I was struck by what Mr. Webster has to say about one particular word.

And that word would be: DEADBEAT

Which the esteemed Mr. Webster defines in the following manner:

1. A person who deliberately avoids paying debts.

2. A loafer; sponger.

3. Being a parent who neglects parental responsibilities, esp. one who does not pay child support.

In fact, I was SO fascinated by this that I had to also Google what Mr. Roget has to say about synonyms for this word.

And that word would (again) be: DEADBEAT

Mr. Roget provides the following enlightening list of synonyms:

Freeloader

Delinquent

Criminal

Debtor

Defaulter

Loafer

Malefactor (ooh…good one)

Miscreant (another good one)

Punk (where’s Dirty Harry when you need him?)

Reprobate

Stiff

Welsher

Failure

Incompetent

Ne’er-do-well

No-good

Nobody

Underachiever

Washout

Turkey

Dud

Parasite

Leech

Fungus

Taker

I’m just sayin’ is all.

KJ

P.S. Bonus points to those who go out and use either “malefactor” or “miscreant” in a sentence today.

No comments: