Monday, June 12, 2006

Book Review (finally)!

Okay, not much to talk about this go-around as I have been a bit busy with other things (see previous posts about suddenly finding myself unemployed). I can't believe I'm actually busier now than I was when I had a full-time job! It's weird. Anyway, what with that and the trip to Vegas and the re-reading of the entire Amber series (I'm only halfway through - heck, there are something like nine or ten of them!) I only have one book to talk about here.

"Covenants" by Lorna Freeman is one of the best "first" novels I've ever read. Following the (mis)adventures of a runaway mage apprentice turend soldier named Rabbit, the book introduces us to a magical world in which an uneasy truce exists between the magical Border Kingdom and the non-magical Kingdom of Iversterre. In contrast to a lot of disappointing books I've read lately, this work actually has MORE than enough plot! In fact, there's a natural break point about two thirds of the way through that I'm shocked didn't become the "end" of book one with the rest of the novel split off into a second book. There's more than enough magic and interesting fantastic creatures to keep the reader interested and poor Rabbit is as bewildered as the audience as the plot thickens and twists back on itself. This is one of the few books that has kept me on my toes all the way through and where I didn't figure out the villain and his plans by about page ten. Hurrah for Lorna Freeman!

But what's that you say? You hate to buy the first book of a series without all of them being published so you can get the whole thing at one time? Well, never fear. The second book of this series, "The King's Own," is already out and available.

In other news...the interview went well on Friday so I should hear something back by the end of this week. In the meantime, I've gotten a few hits from headhunters on Monster.com so we'll see if anything comes from that. I'm not sure what's going on with my potential date - we've exchanged a few e-mails, but I'm not sure if he's really into it or not. Or, it could just be that he's an example of my long-proposed theory that guys are lame at written communication (and okay, most of 'em are lame at verbal communication as well, but the written is even worse).

Gawd! It's been SO LONG since I had to think about this crap - I'm sure I have NO game left at all and if I do have it, I'm not sure where it is or how much dust it's hidden under.

Okay, c'est tout pour maintenant, mes amis! A la prochaine...

KJ

No comments: