Friday, December 29, 2006

Resolved...

I don’t usually go in for the whole “New Year’s Resolution” thing. In fact, don’t think I’ve ever made one and have always thought them to be kind of silly. I mean, really, don’t most people kinda know deep down what they need to be working on in their lives? Y’know, we might be in denial about them or not be willing to tackle them head one, but in those fleeting, dark, still moments where we’re REALLY honest with ourselves, I think most of us at least know the general areas that we have issues with.

Besides, does ANYONE EVER actually stick with a resolution until it’s been achieved? I sorta doubt it. But then, I’m cynical that way.

Still, in the last two years, I’ve made a conscious choice to go out and pursue things that are not my natural inclinations and so far, it’s worked pretty well. So, maybe I ought to give this resolution thingy a try?

Here goes (in no particular order):

1. Spend more time with the kidlet. Being a single, working mom puts a severe restriction on how much time I actually get to spend with him that isn’t taken up with getting him dressed, fed, cleaned, put to bed, etc. I want more time where we enjoy each other’s company, play, learn, and make memories.

2. Lose another 20 lbs. Even though I met my weight loss goal back in October and have kept the weight off, I feel like I can go further in this area.

3. Expand my social horizons – both romantically and platonically. I took a couple of stabs at this in 2006, but I need to focus more attention on it in 2007 and explore more options.

4. Clean up, re-organize and re-decorate the house. Now that I no longer have the burden of having to work around someone else’s stupid ideas…er…I mean now that the divorce is final, I finally have the freedom to tackle this long overdue project. And, I can do it without losing my motivation because someone else is standing around bitching and moaning, complaining, making 70,000 trips to Home Depot because he can’t remember sh*t, just generally being a pain in the ass, and getting angry and yelling at me because he doesn’t know what the heck he’s doing and has messed stuff up but can’t admit it and therefore has to take it out on me because I dared to suggest that perhaps drinking a 6-pack while working on a project might hamper one’s ability to perform household repair tasks. Yeah, I’m so gonna miss that. NOT!

5. Add more outdoor activities to my workout schedule. I’m finding the gym is getting a bit boring so I’ve hit a couple of bike stores to price bicycles and want to start taking walks at the beach on the weekends. Hey, how else am I gonna meet a cute surfer?

6. Be thankful every day for my family, my health and my FREEDOM. Enjoy the peace in my house, make good use of the solitude, feel how much easier it is to stand up straight without the 10-ton burden on my back of being forced to live by someone else’s rules. Revel in the fact that the house is now a criticism-free zone. Well, except when Mom comes to visit, but that’s a whole ‘nother issue.

I think there are supposed to be 10 of these resolution things, but since I’m a newbie at this and since I’ve picked some pretty big stuff to tackle, I think I’ll leave it at six. I’ll have to do a “check-in” in July or something to see how I’m progressing on these things.

I’m off to see “Dreamgirls” with a friend tonight and then dinner at The Cheesecake Factory. Hey, it’s not 2007 yet so I don’t have to start working on those 20 lbs. until Monday! I’m also trying to plan some activities for the kidlet for this weekend, too. We’re either going to Legoland or we’re going to take the train to San Clemente on Saturday and walk on the beach and maybe eat at the pier.

Happy New Year, everyone!

KJ

3 comments:

Jenie said...

HEY! Hello back atcha, and those sound like awesome resolutions. :) Also, I might be able to come down on a Saturday now and then to do the walk and/or biking thing. That would be fun. :) I have to catch up on my reading, because Blogger didn't get along very well with my laptop or french connection (hee!), so I have fallen woefully, woefully behind on keeping up with you. Did you mail me there, and I was a loser and didn't mail back? I hope not. I kept meaning to mail you (I missed mailing you), and for some reason, I just never made it to the website to find your address, which I had left behind. But I actually thought about you a lot. :) So um, Merry Christmas, Happy New Year, and I look forward to tea as soon as I get my car fixed. xxxooo

Jenie said...

ps. i brought you a present. :)

Silver Parrot said...

Woo hoo! A prezzie! From Paris! I'm so down with that! And yep, I e-mailed you a few times and left some comments on your blog, but not as much as I would have liked. Things were kinda crazy with the whole divorce/new job/re-building life from scratch deal. And no worries about responding - I figured you were just consumed with the whole living in Paris deal.

Which I still hate you for, by the way.

Would love to have a bike/walk buddy. Especially as I have not been on a bike since getting my driver's license at the age of 16 (yeah, I SO grew up in So Cal!) and will probably need someone there to scrape my lame ass up off the pavement every few feet.