Monday, September 26, 2011

Kelp Forest Necklace

I thought maybe an entire week of Bead Soup is enough for now, but if you're still hopping, here's the link to my post (or you can just scroll down - it's the next post).

For those who already stopped by (and especially if you left a comment and/or became a follower): THANK YOU! I really, really appreciate the feedback and I read each and every single comment. I tried to respond to as many as I could via e-mail, but not all of them come through that way so I'm sure I missed some people.

Since I ended my soup-creating phase with projects based around a lavender color scheme, I had all kinds of beads still sitting on my work surface that were close, but not quite right, for the soup projects so I decided to make something with them.





This is my "Kelp Forest" necklace as it encompasses all the green and brown tones of California giant kelp (especially as viewed underwater).





I started with this amazing ceramic lavender starfish focal from Yolanda's Clay...which, if you look closely, actually has some green tones reflected in the glaze...especially near the top.





I added some gorgeous Czech glass faceted rondelles that are lavender and blue with streaks of green and brown. Next are these really cool brown shell dangles that are actually shoe buttons from ladies shoes from the late 1800's. I got a whole bag of them years ago (like 2004-ish?) at the L.A. Gift show and I've been holding on to them ever since waiting for the right project to use them in. Then there are some green stick pearls and ebony wood slices.





More wood slices and these brown ceramic donut rings that I found at Michael's. I added a lavender Swarovski pearl to the center to keep the color scheme going.





The clasp is sterling silver wire hammered into an "S" hook and ring.





Put it all together and you have a little starfish hiding in a giant kelp forest.





'Bye li'l starfish!

In other news, congratulations to my favorite martial artist...Ryan...for achieving his red belt in Tae Kwon Do on Friday night. At 8 years old, he's only 2 ranks away from black belt! My kiddo practiced his heart out for weeks to get ready and did a great job - even broke a board doing an Il Bo Chunjin Back Kick (spelling on that is probably not right as I don't speak Korean LOL) Way to go, Ryan!!

Hope everyone had a good weekend! Why does Monday have to come so FAST?!

KJ

5 comments:

Courtney Breul said...

Such a beautiful piece! The colors and textures. Love it!

Therese's Treasures said...

Beautiful necklace love the colors. Congartulations to Ryan on achieving his Red belt.
Therese

Sharyl said...

I love this necklace too! And I must say I thoroughly enjoy your blog overall! I eagerly read down the page, anxious to hear what the shiny metallic light-green bead is made of, what treasure your focal came from, what you will add to the mix, what inspired you, and how it will all end up. It's always a great story as well as a great piece of art!

I also enjoy your "you might also like" links. I almost always get started following and end up, way later, thinking "where did the time go?!" But what fun!

Marie Cramp said...

Great necklace! Still working my way through the soup, just too much this time I think. Still enjoying it, but a lot of work!
Never got to see the Ocean when we were in Cali, but I plan on coming back to do all the things I missed the first time! Who knows when that will be... ;)

Elysian Studios said...

I'm here for bead soup, so thanks for the extra helping. WOW! That necklace is positively amazing! I love the colors, the design and the exquisite components you have used.