Tuesday, April 26, 2016

Wild Bird Wednesday - Idyllwild Birds Part 3

Okay, it's possible that I may have spent a little TOO much time taking bird photos while in Idyllwild.  I'm still only halfway through reviewing them.  Here are a few more of the highlights:
 
 
 
 
One of the new birds I came across during the trip was the Pygmy Nuthatch.  Smaller than the White-Breasted that I was familiar with, these tiny birds were frequent visitors to the feeder.
 

 
 
They liked both the suet and the sunflower seeds.  Apologies for the extreme cropping on the left - I was shooting between the bars of the deck railing.
 
 
 
 
Here he is on a branch with his prize sunflower seed.  He proceeded to wedge it into a crack in the bark and then repeatedly hammer at it with his beak to get it open.
 
 
 
 
Enjoying some post-meal sunshine.
 
 
 
 
Late in the afternoon got an unusual visitor - one Black-headed Grosbeak.  At this time, they were just starting to migrate in for Spring - this is the first one I have seen this year.


 
 
It was almost sunset so I was starting to lose the light, but wasn't sure I'd see this guy any more so I kept shooting anyway.
 

 
 
He stuck around long enough to serenade us from the top of this tree for a while.  Never saw a female or heard any responses, though.  He might be a bit early.
 
 
KJ
 



3 comments:

Anu said...

Great photos. The Pygmy Nuthatches looks so cute. An orange color of Black-headed Grosbeak is beautiful.

Stewart M said...

What a great little bird - too much bird photography is barely enough!

Cheers - Stewart M - Melbourne

Rohrerbot said...

There's no such thing as too much bird photography:) Nice captures! This sounds like a place I'd like to visit. There's a White-headed Woodpecker there:)