Monday, May 01, 2006

And on the 6th day she created...

...JEWELRY!

Yes, I actually got some pieces made this weekend. Yay for me!

I'll post pics below, but thought I'd take the time to mention that now is a good time to buy anything from the site that you've got your eye on because the prices of silver and gold? They are a-risin' most dramatically. I've already received price increase notices from at least two of my vendors and expect the others will follow suit shortly.

All this means that MY prices are going to have to go up, unfortunately. So, head over to the website and get yourself a deal while you can.

And now on to the pictures...

Back in January, I attended the L.A. Gift Show with a friend and was lucky enough to come across a vendor selling pre-made leather necklaces at a great price. I thought it would be a good way for me to cut down on my labor while making some cute summer necklaces so I could offer them at a nice price. Sadly, they've been languishing in a drawer lately because I've been so busy with divorce stuff and custom orders that I didn't even have the minutes it takes to zap a pendant on and get the finished piece photographed.

That all changed this weekend when I was doing some tidying up in the bead room and found this great Jeff Welsh glass pendant. I saw it and thought "that REALLY needs to be worn by someone" so I grabbed a leather necklace, zapped the pendant on and voila! Done.

Here's the necklace:



After that, I worked on a custom order. The two necklaces I posted the other day were for a particular customer to match a pink sweater set. She took them both and also commissioned something to match a couple of mauve sweaters (one lighter and one darker). After looking through my bead stash, she settled on some faceted, coin-shaped shell beads and I came up with this design for her:

In addition to the shell beads, I used some faceted Czech crystal rondelles in a pale amethyst color, some Bali vermeil daisy spacers and deep mauve Swarovski pearls. The total length is 24" and the clasp is a vermeil toggle clasp.

Although the customer is only going to be buying the necklace, I had enough beads left over to make a bracelet and earrings so those pieces will be up for sale on the site later this week.















That's it for now. I still have another embroidered cuff bracelet in the works and maybe I can get in some more jewelry-making time this week. Drat those pesky chores that have to be done all the time!

KJ

No comments: