Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Wait, didn't this blog used to be about jewelry?

Why, yes, yes it did.

Remember way back in November when I finished the lavender embroidered bracelet and started this new bracelet?

Yeah, I hardly remember it either.

And now that I finally have said new (and functioning!) digital camera, I'm proud to get this blog back on track. Of course, the new camera has far too many buttons and thingymabobs that will probably require me to take some sort of four year degree program to understand them before I can safely use it without opening a hole in the space-time continuum (continuoum? whatever.) or accidentally beaming myself to Jupiter or something.

But, all fears for the safety of the universe as we know aside, I was able to make enough progress with the technology to FINALLY take pictures of the lavender bracelet that was finished, oh I don’t know, EIGHT FREAKIN’ MONTHS AGO!

Here's a close-up of the front of the bracelet showing the center cab of fused glass:



Here's a side shot:


The accent beads are lavender pearls.

Here's another front view:


And a shot of the other side:

Lastly, here's a shot of how it looks being worn.

Wonder Woman has nothing on me - I could block rocket grenades with this thing ;-)

Also, the black bracelet? Wasn’t turning out as well as I had hoped. So I ripped out some of it and re-did it. And then I didn’t like that version either and ripped it out and re-did it. Lather. Rinse. Repeat. And so on.

But, I’m finally working on a version that I don’t totally hate:


Here's a close-up view:


I’m using more non-seed beads this time. The seed beads that are being used are mostly 11’s as opposed to the 15’s I used in previous projects for which my eyesight is profoundly grateful. Lastly, this project has some ruffles…little loops of five or seven beads to add some dimension and “fluff.” I think I’m also getting a little bit better with my spacing and not crowding everything so tightly together. I’m excited to see how this one turns out. Hopefully, once it’s done, I can finally move on to some other projects. This thing has been clogging up the works for a long time (a long time being previously defined above as eight months!) so I look forward to getting it finished.
Lastly, as part of my crusade to turn my attention back to jewelry-making, I purchased a couple of beading books last week. I've only had time to get into one of them so far, but OH...MY...GOD! The project pictures alone are to die for. I've had to tie on a bib to stop me from drooling on the pages.
So, what is this fabulouse repository of eye candy, you ask? It's "Beading with Cabochons" by Jamie Cloud Eakin. Although I haven't made it past the first few pages of the basic part of the instructions (too busy looking at and drooling over the project pics), already I've learned that she has a completely different technique for beading around cabs than I do. She doesn't use a peyote bezel and she has a whole treasure trove of different edging techniques that I think will really be invaluable to me as I adapt them for future projects. Plus, with all the years of experience and experimentation that she can draw from, I've already picked up a lot of tips and tricks to solve those nagging little problems that keep a good piece from being truly great.
Oh, and did I mention the pictures are fantabulous? The book is worth buying for those alone.
The other book I bought is about color and I haven't read it yet, but will review it in future issues.
KJ
P.S. Apologies for the long time between entries. I had thought life was done kicking me in the teeth, but apparently that was an overly optimistic estimate. It seems some people are inherently incapable of exercising even the most basic aspects of courtesy and respect and I need to YET AGAIN lower my expectations in this area.
Except, I'm not sure how much lower than "boil on an amoeba's butt" one can get. Hey, that just gave me an idea for a contest. Free pair of earrings (my choice) to the person who comes up with the best "how low can he go" description and e-mails it to me or posts it here. Have fun!

2 comments:

Kaos Siberians said...

Well, I believe that would have to be the anerobic (yeah, I know that's not spelled right, but hey, it's lunchtime) bacteria that infects the boil on the ameoba's butt and causes great green gobs of smelly, oozing puss.

Silver Parrot said...

Okay...ewww...gross. But, since nobody else came up with anything lower (or grosser), you win!