Thursday, June 19, 2014

We're All Ears - Earrings Everyday June Challenge

I can't believe it's time for the June reveal already.  Where is the time going?


 
 
Here is the inspiration photo for this month - it's from the Guggenheim museum.
 
Honestly, I had some trouble with this one.  The color scheme is very neutral:  cream, caramel, black and silver.  The shapes are circles, spirals and a spiderweb skylight at the top.  After a couple of weeks of struggling with this, I came to the conclusion that it is the darkness and lack of non-neutral colors in the photo that was throwing me.  I think I tend to respond more immediately to bright colors than I do to shapes or other elements.  Every pair of earrings I made, I desperately wanted to throw in a turquoise or red bead LOL.
 
Then, I tried to do something with the spiderweb shape and I had a cool idea of taking white and brown hoops and weaving silver wire in between them all the way around to sort of attach them to each other and make them look kinda spiderwebby...but I just didn't have the time to devote to that much experimentation.
 
I ended up going very simple and sticking very closely to the color scheme and circle shape:
 
  
 
 
I tried to make up for the lack of color by going with some sparkle.  The black rings are tagua nut and the center beads are black Czech glass with some...well...I call them "disco dots", but they kind of look like oil on water with some metallic silver in them. 
 
 
 
 
In keeping with the color scheme, I grabbed these cream-colored shell rings and "tiger" glass beads.   I wanted to make a bead or another ring "spin" inside of the shell rings, but I didn't have any smaller rings the right size to fit.  The tiger beads do spin, but I couldn't get a picture of that LOL!  I added a couple of Bali silver daisy spacers to pick up the silver from the photo.
 
 
 
 
Then, I found these fun, spiral beads at Michael's and they fit perfectly within the shell rings and they totally spin.  
 

 
 
They remind me of those old, spinning spiral designs that you would see in TV shows when a character was being hypnotized.
 
So, that's it for this month.  I am definitely in need of a color fix - I think I'll go make another pair of these with some red spiral beads in the center LOL!
 
Here's the code to the rest of the hop:  An InLinkz Link-up

 
KJ


9 comments:

Karin G said...

WOW, in spite of the neutral colors you were inspired! I love their circular shapes with the little touch in each of them. My favorite are the spiral ones!

TesoriTrovati said...

Ha! I threw you for a loop, Miss Kelly! I think that it is sort of fascinating to focus on form rather than just the colors and I think you nailed it! I like all three, but my favorite is the spinning black and white. Those would go with whatever color outfit you want to wear! Thank you for joining in the We're All Ears June challenge. Enjoy the day! Erin

Therese's Treasures said...

All three pairs of your earrings are beautiful! My favorite pair is the first pair.
Therese

Cindys Art + Soul said...

Oh, I love these! The spinning beads are fabulous! I'm with Erin, I tend to concentrate on the lines rather than color although I did make a neutral set of hoops- maybe it was subconscious! :-D Great earrings!

CMS Designs said...

It's funny that I thought of the hypnotic TV image immediately when I saw those last pair of earrings. :) those are "mesmerizing" for sure. It is interesting to focus on something other than just color, and you did this well. Now go play with color! :)

Unknown said...

Love all of your earrings but especially the spinning black and white ones. They are so much fun and I would wear them everyday.

Terri said...

All three really work and like so many of the others, the last one got my attention the most! Fabulous!

Calisa Rhose said...

These are all great! I think my favorites are the last ones.

OksanaB said...

Great designs! My favorite is the last one :) I have similar striped beads. I love how you combined them with the round shell beads. It looks so fun!