Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Wild Bird Wednesday - Coot

I've been absent the last couple of weeks due to a wonderful vacation heading up the California coast through Cambria and Big Sur to Pacific Grove.  Absolutely magnificent scenery and wildlife - can't wait to post some pics once I finish going through them.

In the meantime, here are some Coots:


 
 
I grew up next to a lake and Coots were very common along with the mallards, geese and swans, but I never really paid much attention to them.
 

 
 
Only recently really noticed their red eyes and green feet. 
 

 
 
And then there's this rare, two-headed version..
 
 
KJ
 
 





8 comments:

eileeninmd said...

Great captures of the Coot! Sounds like you had a great trip! I love the Big Sur area! Enjoy your day!

Maude Lynn said...

Love that two-headed variety! Ha!

Hootin Anni said...

I love these images. We see so many around where I live I have begun to pay less attention to them...then, the other day I saw a new born chick...so precious they are.

Excellent series of photos today.

Stewart M said...

We have a very similar species here - and they are really aggressive!

Cheers - Stewart M - Melbourne

Margaret Birding For Pleasure said...

Looking forward to seeing your travel shots and in the mean time these Coot shots with reflections are excellent

Mary Howell Cromer said...

Very Nice, I am missing seeing the Coots around here~

A Colorful World said...

Wonderful shots of these fascinating birds!

EG CameraGirl said...

Love deeing the coot. We have them here in Ontario but they are not common ... at least I see them only occasionally.