Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Wild Bird Wednesday - Coot

I've been absent the last couple of weeks due to a wonderful vacation heading up the California coast through Cambria and Big Sur to Pacific Grove.  Absolutely magnificent scenery and wildlife - can't wait to post some pics once I finish going through them.

In the meantime, here are some Coots:


 
 
I grew up next to a lake and Coots were very common along with the mallards, geese and swans, but I never really paid much attention to them.
 

 
 
Only recently really noticed their red eyes and green feet. 
 

 
 
And then there's this rare, two-headed version..
 
 
KJ
 
 





8 comments:

eileeninmd said...

Great captures of the Coot! Sounds like you had a great trip! I love the Big Sur area! Enjoy your day!

Mama Zen said...

Love that two-headed variety! Ha!

HOOTIN ANNI said...

I love these images. We see so many around where I live I have begun to pay less attention to them...then, the other day I saw a new born chick...so precious they are.

Excellent series of photos today.

Stewart M said...

We have a very similar species here - and they are really aggressive!

Cheers - Stewart M - Melbourne

Margaret Adamson said...

Looking forward to seeing your travel shots and in the mean time these Coot shots with reflections are excellent

Mary Cromer said...

Very Nice, I am missing seeing the Coots around here~

Marie C said...

Wonderful shots of these fascinating birds!

EG CameraGirl said...

Love deeing the coot. We have them here in Ontario but they are not common ... at least I see them only occasionally.