Tuesday, April 19, 2011

The More Things Change, The More They Stay the Same

OR...Why I have nothing to blog about today.

Because today's entry was going to be pics of the new necklace I made at the end of my vacation week. Except that after perusing it a bit longer, I decided it needed a couple of small adjustments. Since it's a wire-wrapped necklace, this required more wire.

Which I didn't have, but proceeded to dutifully order. It arrived just in time for this past weekend so you'd think I should have been able to get the adjustments done and the necklace photographed.

But then it was 85 degrees on Saturday and we went to the beach. So that was it for that day.

Next, I targeted Sunday. But we ended up going to see "Rio" in the morning (and yeah, my mom has already taken care of the "people who go to the movies on Sunday morning instead of to church are going to hell" guilt trip speech so no need to address that topic in the comments) and then it was homework time when we got home.

Which should have taken 30 minutes. Little did I know that the "Ginormous Homework Meltdown of 2011" was about to take place. Not only did I not know it was coming, I had no idea how to handle it. Ryan has NEVER flat out refused to do his homework before nor has he ever had what I would describe as an almost mini panic attack in response to my standard "if you don't do as Mommy asks, you lose X for the day" (where X is something valuable like TV time, dessert, etc.)

So, anyway, instead of 30 minutes, homework (plus time for freakout, timeout, and subsequent resolution) ended up taking almost 3 HOURS!

After which, I was in no mood for anything but vegging in front of the TV (to detract from the "I can't believe how much I suck at being a mom" monologue that was running through my head) with a nice Dr. Who marathon (new season starts this Saturday! Woo Hoo! I am such a sci-fi geek).

FINALLY managed to get the wirework done late Sunday night after the kid was in bed (my LEAST favorite time to work on things, but at least no creativity was required - just a structural change).

Figured I'd do the new photography yesterday when I got home from work, but didn't plan on having to stay late. Which made me late to pick up the kid. Which made me late to meet with the YMCA people about reserving Ryan's spot for summer. Which made dinner and (oh yay) more homework time late.

Yeah, not so much left in the way of light for picture taking.

Today is not going so much better thus far:

I have booked appointments with Ryan's teacher and with the counselor at school to discuss the schoolwork issue (in addition to the homework freakout, he's come home with BLANK classwork for about the past 10 days).

I have called the dentist AND the orthodontist to continue the neverending saga of Ryan's teeth (only ONE more extraction, thank goodness, but we still have to have the lower appliancd molded and installed)

I have spent TWO HOURS total over the last couple of days on the phone with Marriott and the timeshare exchange people TRYING to get some kind of vacation booked for this summer. Yeah, we have FIVE WEEKS worth of time share available, but can I actually BOOK IT anywhere? Ummm...nope.

Oh, and last month? They sent my mom a coupon for ANOTHER WEEK to thank her for being such a good customer. So now I have try to book THAT ONE, too. AAAAGGGHHHHH!!!

I still have no Yahoo IM and this week I was informed that NO ONE will eat the item I was planning to make and bring for our Easter Sunday family meal. Apparently, no one understands how much my menu creativity is limited by the lack of a functioning oven. There are only so many options for stovetop or toaster oven. Not to mention that we were all given a "theme" that the dish has to be meaningful (like remind us of childhood Easter meals or some other BS) somehow.

The men with the straightjacket will be coming soon. I only hope that the TV in my padded cell gets BBC America in time for Dr. Who.

KJ

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh you poor thing. my almost 10 year old gives me grief about homework, brushing his teeth, going to bed, getting up in morning, i mean everything. kid drives me nuts. well homework thing is taken care of. he goes to a tutor everyday and he gets it done there. but it's a pain driving him there and picking him up.
hope you get some down time soon. take care

elisabeth said...

I thought I was the only one that had the "you suck as a Mom" thing in my head. Sigh. Know that you are not alone :-)

SueBeads said...

You are SO not alone. My 12 yr. old has lost everything - no joke. I cleaned out his room! No tv. No computer. No friends. And the grades are getting better. Takes A LOT of work. But you DO NOT suck!

EmandaJ said...

Oy! Bless your cotton socks. I feel for you -- but you have a beach nearby. Meditate to the tune of rolling waves (in your head if you can't get to the beach in person).

Emanda

Unknown said...

Oh we all have those suck moments and you know what we will have them again. You are doing the best you can and need to stop being so hard on yourself! The kid knows you love him and in the end that is what matters most! You Rock MOM!