Friday, February 21, 2014

Well-Manicured Beads

Okay, so, this nail polish thing is addicting.  I love the results and the bright colors and sparkliness of it all just make me happy.

Here are a few of the latest pieces:


 
 
These are not the real raw brass - they are purchased "brass" charms from Michael's.  I wanted to see if they would hold up to the process and so far, they take the nail polish really well.  I don't know how lasting the effect will be, but I would guess that nail polish is fairly tough considering it has to last on our fingernails through daily wear and tear and jewelry pieces shouldn't get quite that much action.
 
 
 
 
Violet polish with purple glitter over top.
 

 
 
Lime green with sea and forest green glitter.

 
 
 
Pretty pastel seashell charms
 

 
 
This polish is a transparent aqua and then I did a coat of glitter polish over the top.
 

 
 
I did a more opaque light blue over these and then just used a shimmery, transparent pink in the center...and it turned this lovely lavender color which I wasn't expecting, but totally love.  I did a bit of light sanding on these to let some of the shiny brass peek back through.  I didn't want to do too much as I definitely ruined a few pieces over the weekend by sanding too much.  Less is more, Kelly.  Less is more.  Learn it, live it, love it.
 
 
 
 
These seahorses are the same polish combo as the small spiral shells up above.  The only difference is I added some purple on the eyes and fins, did some sanding to reveal some of the brass and then hit those raised, revealed areas with some gold Rub 'N Buff.  Love that stuff, but it is definitely easy to overdo it.  I put just a tiny dab on my finger and then dab most of it off on a paper towel before I go over the piece.  Also...the "Copper" color...is NOT copper.  It is a dark, dark brown.  Use VERY carefully. 

 
 
 
These are probably my favorites of this whole group.  I did the transparent shimmery pink with an overcoate of violet glitter and it worked so well with the nobbly texture on these.  You can't see it in the photos, but these have a subtle glisten in the sun rather than screaming "GLITTER!"  Also, the raw brass peeks through and adds spots of shiny gold here and there.  I am definitely making more of these!
 
  

 
Tiny winged scarab beetles - I may be a bit too attached to this green/purple color combo.
 


 
This color combo was so successful the first time around, I had to try it again.  These are going to be perfect for summer earrings!
 
KJ

3 comments:

TesoriTrovati said...

Super fun, KJ! Love those sweet starfish! My daughter is a nail-polish-aholic. So now I know what we can do with all those colors!
Enjoy the day. Erin

CraftyHope said...

Oh, thank you so much for showing off your nail polish experiments. They are totally a success and something I have contemplated doing as well. Of course, I don't know that I would get as beautiful results as you've achieved, but it's nice to know that it's an option. :)

Katy said...

What a great idea. These look wonderful I am always attracted by anything 'ocean' and these are so much fun.