Friday, July 15, 2005

Friday Book Review and Announcements!

I had planned to announce this back in June, but, well, what can I say? Life happens ;-) Anyway, Silver Parrot is proud to introduce its new Bridal Collection! I recently did a custom order for a bride-to-be and generated several additional designs in the process so I decided to give them all their own special place on the website. If your or anyone you know is looking for elegant, feminine accessories for the "big day," then feel free to send them to:

Bridal Collection

And now, on to the Friday Book Review! I know everyone is all focused on the release of the latest Harry Potter book today, but I thought I'd go a different direction. Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge HP fan, but I figure he's getting enough attention on his own. I'd like to introduce you to a less well known series, but one which was influential in shaping my love of fantasy and sci fi: Susan Cooper. I first read "The Dark is Rising" during the summer between 6th & 7th grade and I was utterly enthralled. I couldn't put it down and wound up getting in trouble for sneaking it into my summer school classes and reading it instead of the assigned work. I also snuck a flashlight out of the garage at home and took it up to my bedroom so I could stay up reading long after "lights out." Although the series really begins with "Over Sea, Under Stone," each book is complete unto itself and they can definitely be read separately. Cooper deftly weaves Celtic myths with the modern day lives of children and adds in her own creation of the "Old Ones" - beings who appear human but who are immortal and are charged with battling evil down through the ages. The entire series is now available as a boxed set:

The Dark Is Rising Sequence

It's also worth noting that a later book in the series, "The Grey King" won the Newberry Award.

Lastly, I just wanted to mention that there might not be a lot of new pictures here for a while. I've gotten in a lot of repair and custom order work that is going to suck up my jewelry time for a while. PLUS I have to hunker down and get my business taxes down this weekend - oh joy! SOOO not looking forward to that.

Hope everyone has a fantabulous weekend and that you can stay cool! It's been awfully hot here these last few days and looks to stay the same over the weekend - maybe I'll head over to Surfline and check out the local beach conditions and surf report. Cowabunga, dude!

Take care all!

KJ

No comments: