Thursday, April 20, 2006

Watch Your Language, Young Lady!

Hey, folks! Back from vacation and I promise a full blog entry AND book review coming tomorrow, but in the meantime, have fun with this li’l tidbit:



Your Linguistic Profile:



75% General American English

10% Upper Midwestern

10% Yankee

5% Dixie

0% Midwestern




Although, I dispute the accuracy of one of their questions regarding “what do you call an easy class?” Because they left out the most obvious term. An easy class is, of course, a “mick.” As in “mickey.” As in “Mickey Mouse.” Because it’s so easy it’s like going to Disneyland.

For an example of said “mick class” see “Japanese Tea Drinking Ceremony” at UCLA. Yep, you spend an entire quarter just learning the ceremony and then perform it for your final exam. And for this, your parents spend a massive amount of money and you get three official elective credits that can be applied towards your base requirements.

Or at least that’s how it was back in the dark ages (i.e. the 80’s) when I went to school there. And no, I never took the class myself, but I know plenty of people *cough* football players *cough cough* Kappas *cough cough cough* who did. It was VERY popular for Spring Quarter (the traditional “I’m taking all ‘mick classes' so I can spend most of my time at the beach or partying quarter). Because really, Winter Quarter with all the temperatures below 80 degrees and maybe some rain and stuff? That’s when you take the 16 units of REAL classes. Spring is for 8-12 units of M-I-C-K-E-Y M-O-U-S-E.

Oh shut up…you know you did it, too.

And as long as I’m posting fun tidbits, let me introduce you to my new favorite addiction: Crazy Aunt Purl.

Not only does she crack me up, but she’s as crazy about knitting as I am about beads AND she’s also going through the same life circumstances as I am and yet manages to write a much funnier, more interesting blog about them. In fact, this entry says exactly what *I* would say about *my* impending divorce if I had any talent as a writer instead of just being a schmo who posts boring meanderings about her life on the internet.

And yeah, it’s true, he was just a guy I met one day.

KJ

No comments: