Friday, August 28, 2009

New Bead Friday

A couple of items of business right away:

-I want to thank everyone who is reading or following the blog. I can’t tell you how much of a thrill I get (it’s kind of silly what a dork I am) out of each and every single comment and how I watch the follower number to see if it creeps up. I may not always comment back due to time restraints, but I swoop onto my comment approval page every single morning and usually judge how good the day is going to be by how many comments I have (see, I told you, I’m a huge dork). Anyway, thank you all for choosing to spend some of your valuable internet time reading my random, beady drivel.

-Crap! While writing about #1, I just forgot what #2 was. Either the re-blonding had more of an impact than I thought or the Alzheimer’s is gettin’ goin’ early. I cannot remember ANYTHING any more. It’s awful. I’m sure someday soon I’ll be found wandering aimlessly around some neighborhood (not mine) naked except for socks and a lot of beaded jewelry.

Okay, sorry about that mental image. Let’s progress to the beady stuff, shall we?

I managed to squeak in a couple of pairs of earrings during the week:







I'm trying out some different backgrounds for my photos so let me know what you think.







These were another product of serendipity when Swarovski crystal teardrops in “Titan” fell next to hammered gold hoops on my beading station. I thought the result was very simple, but really pretty. I think the “Titan” color may be a special coating and not a regular Swarovski color, but I’m not 100% sure so don’t quote (actually, probably a good idea not to quote me anyway…the men in the white coats might come for you). I got the teardrops from Fusion Beads.









This pair I made using some lovely porcelain pendants from Summers Studio. They reminded me of some antique lace and I loved the delicate blue color and didn’t want to fight too much with it so just platinum pearls, Montana blue crystals and some touches of gold were the perfect addition.

And now on to this week’s new beads (which is what you were all really here for anyway, right?):




This amazing floral clay pendant came from The Classic Bead on Etsy. The colors are actually even deeper and richer in real life.






I can’t ever resist ocean-colors so I knew I had to have this wonderful set of lampwork beads from Lazy Cat Beads on Etsy. She calls them “smartee” sets and has designed them to work so well together that all you need to add is a few spacers and crystals and your design is done. Excellent idea for we overwhelmed (and okay, yeah, I’ll admit it, lazy) beaders!





In fact, I liked the idea so much, I bought a second set in pink!





Got this incredible bronze wing charm with lovely turquoise patina from Zoa Art on Etsy.

And then, for some inexplicable reason, I found myself buying hand-dyed silk ribbons.





In lots of colors - like "Maple Sugar."






And "Vintage Rose."






And my favorite: "Painted Pony."

These all came from Jody Poesy on Etsy and she threw in a whole handful of freebie ribbons in a bunch of different colors with my package - awesome!


I sure hope I can come up with some designs to make use of them because they are really stunning.

That’s it. More beads next week as I am off to the Costa Mesa Gem Faire tomorrow. Gotta keep that economy going!

KJ

9 comments:

Kristen said...

I love the sets you got from Lazy Cat Beads! Those are really great colors together. Love all the others too, but I'm a sucker for the glass. The ribbon is very pretty too! Lovely colors! The earrings you created are beautiful! I like the second photo background better. If you were looking for thoughts! :)

dochoamom said...

Kelly, Thanks for the bead fix. But I also follow becuase I want to see what you are going to talk about. It is always very entertaining. Love those earrings especially the blue lace ones. And that gal has great prices on her ribbons... thanks for sharing... Have fun at the CM gem show.

Deb

SummersStudio said...

The earing look great! Backgrounds? I have not really good advice here. I am having a bit of a background crisis myself. I do like the look of crystal components against glass though. Sort of lets the light shine all of the way through.

Kaos Siberians said...

Wait a minute...didn't we do hand dyed silk ribbons years ago???? Remember that kit we bought...I don't think I've ever used mine (there's a surprise!)

TesoriTrovati said...

No slowing down the beading train...woowoo!
I just took a class tonight at the artists coop I am a part of all about digital photography. It was more about lighting and file sizes than backdrops and stagng, but it was helpful. Your flash is going off and that seems to be the reflection in the glass and that distracts. I like natural light, but my pro photo buddy indicates that a macro lens will be the things for me so I am off to find one that doesn't break the bank. And if your camera shoots in RAW mode, use it. F8, ISO 100, 1/125. If that is all mumbo-jumbo, then just turn off your flash. I am thinking of staging earrings on a piece of slate tile for texture without a lot of competing background. What do you think?
And I get a thrill when I see new comments too, so I am part of the dork movement too! While I was absent for a week I somehow picked up 5 more followers...how is that possible? Maybe that means I should post...less?!?
Enjoy the day Kelly!
Erin

Anonymous said...

wow, that is some gorgeous stuff you got. i can't wait to see what you make.
i like the second photo of the earring.

lunedreams said...

oh no...I think I need silk ribbons now. I've been thinking of doing something with ribbons and those were what was in my head!! thanks a lot. have to bookmark that seller! love the silver dotted Lazy Cat beads, I've been admiring the matte finish ones at Sue Beads too. I love the floral clay bead too--not TOO floral. almost kind of Art Deco. You did good!!! Can't wait to see what you do with the ribbons (so I can do it too).

Unknown said...

here, let me add a little joy to your day.
I usually love earrings on a wine glass but those show up better on the board, could be the crystal.
Lovely finds - I'm developing a craving for silk ribbon although I'm not sure what I'd do with it.
And i love free gifts with orders! I always try to add a little something extra when I ship to buyers.

The Joy of Nesting said...

Gads Little Miss,
I'm sorry to be tardy but it's
taken me all weekend to get myself caught up with blogs and puter news. :( This is the high of rainy season and electrical storms are awesome to see but not so good for electronics.

I had to stop to tell you I LOVE the earrings you made with LeAnn's beads!!!!! They are so feminine and Victorian feeling without dripping in fru fru, like 1928's pieces are!

Pattie ;)
Mazatlan Mx.