Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Onward and upward

So, confession is good for the soul, right? Thanks for letting me vent the other day. Now back to your regularly scheduled blogging.

Let’s talk jewelry. The embroidered lavender bracelet is DONE! I should be able to get pictures this weekend (and Sparkle you better shut up about my photo-challengedness right now!) There are also two new pairs of earrings that I finished a couple of weeks ago, but haven’t had a chance to get scanned. Hope to do that this weekend, too, although I may be re-making one pair first as I’m not 100% satisfied with the design. I’m about halfway done with my next embroidered cuff bracelet design, too, and I think it’s going to be the best of the bunch so far. I learn a lot with each of these that I do and my technique gets better (or I like to think it does anyway). I’ll try to get that scanned and uploaded as well. I’m also thinking it’s about time for a “clean out the inventory” sale on the website.

Let’s see, what else? I had date #3 with architect guy on Saturday night. We had a great time seeing comedian Richard Jeni at the Irvine Spectrum Improv and then had a late dinner in the bar at the Cheesecake Factory (where I successfully avoided the cheesecake for once…miracle of miracles!) If you ever get a chance to see Jeni, I highly recommend him. He was absolutely hilarious (and not over-the-top dirty so okay for a date).

I wore my black jeans, black boots, a black camisole (sensing a theme here?) and a midnight blue velvet jacket. The accessories were new silver hoop earrings (made by me, of course!) and a silver clutch purse. There were some other "unseen" accessories courtesy of a trip to Victoria's Secret earlier in the week, but that's enough on that subject.

I tried something new with my makeup – my version of a “smoky eye” which is to say that I attempted the traditional smoky eye but without making myself look like a raccoon that hasn’t slept for 3 days. Instead of using black or dark grey shadow, I used a navy blue shadow that started at the lash line and then progressively got lighter as I blended it over my lid and up to the crease. I put a peachy/pink highlighter color with just the teensiest bit of sparkle in it on my brow bone for a and also smudged the navy blue halfway under my lower lashes as liner. I finished it all off with lots of black mascara, subtle blush and a light berry-colored lip gloss. Normally I’d go with a darker lip for night, but with the dramatic eyes, I didn’t want to over do it.

I think it came out pretty well for an experiment. Got lots of nice compliments from the guy and when I got home later that night (MUCH later) everything was still more or less in place and hadn’t melted down my face. Which is very important because while it’s easy to make sure one does not start out the night as a raccoon, it’s much more difficult to ensure that one does not morph into a raccoon over the course of an evening.

By the way, turns out architect guy is one heck of a kisser. I could be in serious trouble here LOL! He's blowing my whole "create a harem of lots of guys to date casually" plan.

On top of that, can I just say how nice it is to be with a guy who actually HAS a successful career, makes money at that career and knows how to budget it such that he can take a lady on a nice date. I guess I'm just old-fashioned enough to enjoy that when I (sincerely) offer to kick in for part of the tab or go Dutch, I get the (equally sincere) "thanks, but I've got it" response. What can I say? Fiscal responsibility turns me on LOL!

I’m not a gold digger or anything, but it’s been 14 years since I went out with someone who could AFFORD to take me out without me or my parents having to pick up all or part of the tab. Of course, that’s partially my fault because I stupidly made the decision to “settle” for that behavior a long time ago and I’m only recently coming to realize how much I resented the hell out of it. Y'know, at some point you've got to grow up, take your responsibilities as a man seriously and provide for your family and quit wasting everyone's time and energy pursuing things that are never going to yield any practical result. In other words, sack up, grow a pair, BE A MAN!

It becomes more apparent every minute that the person I was with was so completely unworthy of me in every way imaginable and that I only went that route because I was unaware of my OWN worth. I certainly know I’ll never “settle” ever again.

In case my point isn’t clear, I thought I’d re-state things in the immortal words of Beyonce (or whoever she had write this song for her):

“Irreplaceable”

To the left
To the left

To the left
To the left

mmmmmmm

To the left to the left
Everything you own in the box to the left
In the closet, that’s my stuff
Yes, if I bought it, then please don't touch (don't touch)

And keep on talking that mess, that’s fine
Could you walk and talk, at the same time?
And- its my name that’s on that bag
So go move your bags, let me call you a cab
Standing in the front yard, telling me
How I'm such a fool, talking 'bout
How I'll never ever find a man like you

You got me twisted

You must not know 'bout me
Yyou must not know 'bout me
I could have another you in a minute
Matter a fact, he'll be here in a minute (baby)

You must not know 'bout me
You must not know 'bout me
I could have another you by tomorrow
So don't you ever for a second get to thinkin'
You're irreplaceable

So go ahead and get gone
Call up that chick, and see if shes home
Oops I bet you thought, that I didn't know
What did you think
I was putting you out for?
Because you was untrue
Rolling around in the car that I bought you
Baby, drop them keys
Hurry up, before your taxi leaves

Standing in the front yard, telling me
How I'm such a fool, talking 'bout
How I'll never ever find a man like you

You got me twisted

You must not know 'bout me
You must not know 'bout me
I could have another you in a minute
Matter a fact, he'll be here in a minute (baby)

You must not know 'bout me
You must not know 'bout me
I could have another you by tomorrow
So don't you ever for a second get to thinkin'
You're irreplaceable

So since I'm not your everything
How about I'll be nothing? Nothing at all to you
Baby, I won't shed a tear for you
I won't lose a wink of sleep
Cause the truth of the matter is
Replacing you was so easy

To the left
To the left

To the left
To the left

Mmmmmmmm

To the left to the left
Everything you own in the box to left

To the left to the left
Don't you ever for a second get to thinking
You're irreplaceable

You must not know 'bout me
You must not know 'bout me
I could have another you in a minute
Matter a fact, he'll be here in a minute (baby)

You must not know 'bout me
You must not know 'bout me
I could have another you by tomorrow
So don't you ever for a second get to thinkin'
You’re irreplaceable

You must not know 'bout me
You must not know 'bout me
I could have another you in a minute
Matter a fact, he'll be here in a minute

You can pack all your things- we're finished
‘Cause you made your bed now lay in it
I could have another you by tomorrow
Don't you ever for a second get to thinkin'
You're irreplaceable

Just thought I’d share in case anyone else out there needs an empowering anthem to, uh, kick the trash to the curb (so to speak) ;-) Oh, Natasha Bedingfield's “Unwritten” is a good personal anthem as well.

Have a great week everyone and I’ll try to have a book review later this week.

KJ

No comments: