Friday, January 18, 2008

2007 - A Year in Review

I’m a little late with this, but I thought it would still be a good idea to write about my resolutions for 2008. First, though, let’s take a look back at 2007’s resolutions:

1. Spend more time with the kidlet.

Definitely achieved this one. Not only did I spend more time with him in general (cutting back on some of my own goals and activities in order to do so), but due to some unfortunate behavior (and the consequences thereof) of his father, I’ve pretty much had sole custody since September, 2007. Hopefully, the ex will work his way out of his difficulties and will be able to take up his role as a more involved dad later this year.

2. Lose another 20 lbs. Even though I met my weight loss goal back in October and have kept the weight off, I feel like I can go further in this area.

Mixed results on this one. I was halfway through losing those extra 20 lbs. by July and looked to be on track for achieving my goal by December. Then, my life and schedule changed radically (see #1 above) and that really had a tremendous impact on my ability to keep aggressively pursuing this goal. Plus, like all dieters, I backslid a bit. So, need to re-double my efforts in 2008.

3. Expand my social horizons – both romantically and platonically. I took a couple of stabs at this in 2006, but I need to focus more attention on it in 2007 and explore more options.

Did pretty well with this. Joined a couple of singles groups at church and joined Parents Without Partners. The only downside has been that with my schedule changes, I haven’t had the time to take full advantage of attending events put on by these groups. Still pursuing the internet dating as well. Results are mixed.

4. Clean up, re-organize and re-decorate the house.

Definitely made progress here. With the help of some friends, I cleaned out and re-organized the garage (including getting rid of the bulky shelves and work station that the ex built in there without my input or agreement that took up half the damn place). I spent Labor Day weekend re-decorating my bedroom including painting one wall all by myself, getting a new bed and all new linens and pillows and getting the rest of my grandmother’s antique bedroom furniture set out of storage and into the room. I still have a lot more to do to not only finish that room, but get going on the rest of the house as well.

5. Add more outdoor activities to my workout schedule. I’m finding the gym is getting a bit boring so I’ve hit a couple of bike stores to price bicycles and want to start taking walks at the beach on the weekends.

I did really well with this. I made a point of walking on the beach at least once a week – either after work or on the weekends and it was great. I bought myself a bike for Christmas and have been hitting the road on that as often as I can.

6. Be thankful every day for my family, my health and my FREEDOM.

This was a no brainer. I am so grateful every day for how well my life is going and how much happier and at peace I am. It doesn’t mean that there aren’t some really painful memories and some work I still need to do to complete the recovery process, but I have an amazing kid, a truly wonderful and supportive family and I know God has a plan for my life that will make all of the events of the past couple years into a process that ultimately made me a better, more mature and happier person.

All in all...I think I did pretty well considering this was the first year I've ever made actual resolutions.

Stay tuned tomorrow for my 2008 resolutions.

KJ
Music: “Poems, Prayers and Promises” by John Denver

No comments: