Friday, July 11, 2014

Going in Circles

A couple of weeks ago, I participated in the June "We're All Ears" challenge on the Earrings Everyday blog.  I wasn't completely crazy about my finished pieces and couldn't quite get it out of my head that they just didn't represent my original idea as well as I wanted them to.

It's so annoying...like having an itch you can't quite reach...except instead of it being between your shoulder blades...it's in your brain.

So, I just had to re-visit that theme and see if I couldn't do better and I'm much happier with the new results:

 
 
I wanted to capture the off-center nature of the "circles" in the original inspiration photo so wiring these white shell disks right up against the tiger ebony wood rings accomplished that.  Also, I didn't quite tighten down the wraps as severely as I usually wood so that the shell disks spin freely and independently of the rings (although it's hard to show that effect in the photos).  Lastly, I was just dying to inject a shot of color because I am a color girl and it just killed me to have to stick to neutrals for the original challenge.  Faceted vintage German glass red rondelles were the perfect tiny touch of brightness this needed plus a weensy dash of silver courtesy of a daisy spacer, 2mm round bead and French hooks.
 

 
 
I tried to show the spinning portion by hanging the earrings, but it was so windy when I was taking the photos that every time I got them into perfect position, the breeze would pick up, they'd bump into each other and spin back to the straight on position just as I'd snap the photo, but you get the idea.
 

 
 
In the first two photos, you can't really see the wonderful "pearly luminescent" quality of the shell disks so I'm throwing this one in as well because you can kind of see it in the earring on the right.
 

 
 
I decided to try one more - this time with shell rings instead of the shell disks.  I kept the shell theme going by adding color via some aqua shell heishi disks.

 
 
 
I played up the warmer tones in the wood by using 24k gold vermeil daisy spacers and earring hooks.

 
 
 
And I finally got my "spinner" shot!
 
And NOW I have finally scratched the itch in my brain and can move on to this month's challenge.  Check out the July inspiration photo.
 
KJ

1 comment:

Shai Williams said...

Oh I know what you mean about that itch. I have it going on with the ABS Challenge. I have done up a couple necklaces but I am just not satisfied with them so I will be 'scratching' some more this weekend.