Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Mmmm...Crunchy!

Today's photo-less blog entry is brought to you by the fact that yesterday's photography session was rained out! Yes, we had actual rain. Not fog...or mist...or drizzle...which we here in So Cal often mistake for rain, but actual rain. Like turn the windshield wipers on HIGH and mess up the freeways rain. It is sorely needed so I can only hope we get more and get outta this darn drought.

And now on to yet another "cute but gross thing my kid said to me."

So, my son has a couple of, um, disgusting personal hygiene issues. I mean, he is a boy, after all. And these are things that boys do (or so I have been reliably informed).

One of them is that he bites his nails - both finger AND toenails. I have tried everything I can to get him to stop with no luck. Still, I am always searching for an opportunity to motivate him to stop on his own.

One such opportunity supposedly presented itself to me this morning. We were watching "The Planet's Funniest Animals" on TV. This is sort of like "America's Funniest Home Videos" except with, you know, animals.

Amongst all the other animall antics shown this morning was a video of a dog licking the bottom of a guy's bare foot. Upon seeing this, my son yelled out "Ooooh...GROSS!!!"

Ah HAH! I thought. Here's an opportunity for him to finally make the magical connection in his brain that the whole foot/mouth combo thing is a BAD IDEA. So, I nonchalantly said, "Well, it's no different from when you stick YOUR foot in YOUR mouth and chew on your toenails. That's just as gross."

He rolled his eyes (crap! 6 years old and already with the eye rolling!) at me and said "Mom, it's TOTALLY different."

Knowing I would regret asking, I said "Why?"

He looked me straight in the eye and said, "Because toenails are crunchy."

Okay, then.

KJ

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh that's awesome. I love the logic of our children. My girl child is the younger and grosser of the two. She gnaws on both her finger & toe nails. Much like the dog, I'm not fond of her kisses ;)

Lorelei Eurto said...

that is so freakin gross. tell him you'll ground him for life if he doesn't stop. or he'll end up being totally alone his whole life because girls ( i know, ick!) won't dig that kind of behavior.

blech.

TesoriTrovati said...

heeheehee!
That kid has you all figured out... but you will have SO much good stuff to terrorize him with when he is a teen and it will be your turn to embarrass the hell out of him! Biting toenails? Now that is a new one! Enjoy the day! Erin

mairedodd said...

ok then for sure! my son is a nail biter even to 13... has stopped with the toes - i think that anatomically it will soon become too difficult for your son... don't despair - kids are kids and boys will be, well, boys! at least the toe nail biting probably only occurs in the privacy of your home! at tkd, the teacher can take care of it if he tries it there!

Kristen said...

I'm rolling over here! That is pretty nasty, and I also have boys with dirty habbits! They used to do that with their toes, they've restricted it now to only fingernails. I think it's a phase... they will grow out of it right? Hot sauce... I have heard putting hot sauce on the fingernails will deter them. I haven't tried it yet though! Maybe lemon juice or something will be less cruel! Thank goodness I have a very clean and neat oldest child who is a GIRLY GIRL!! :) Balances out all the nasty little boy traits! LOL! Gotta love em'! :)

Marie Cramp said...

OMG ROFLMAO!!! that is soooo gross!! I have two boys so I am well aware of all the disgusting things they do. I can not believe how hard I am laughing right now. Good luck, you and I need it!!

Marie

Live, Love, Laugh, Write! said...

I've actually heard that before!