Wednesday, October 06, 2010

"Seems It Never Rains in Southern California..."




"...but it pours, oh man it pours."






My Dad used to sing that song incessantly whenever it rained around here so now I always think about it on rainy days.

So, as you can see, after days of record-breaking heat...we've now had rain the last four days in a row. Good thing the guy finally showed up to fix my air conditioning now.

In other news, some "anonymous" person showed up and left a snarky comment on a post I wrote way back in January. Way to be current. Also, love that you have guts to write a snarky comment, but not the guts to actually use your name when posting. Way to have the courage of your convictions.

Wow. Okay, apparently I am a bitch today. So, be warned. Dealing with a very stressful situation at my son's school and I guess that whole "momma lion" thing is leaking out around my edges and spilling over onto the blog (and everything else I'm doing).

I won't go into all the details except to say there was a third grade teacher at the school last year who received an avalanche of parental complaints. The school's response was to move him to teach second grade this year...and three guesses who my son's teacher is? Needless to say, this year's second grade parents are NOT HAPPY. And when I say NOT HAPPY, I'm talkin' torches and pitchforks kinda NOT HAPPY.

I'm really at a loss as to what to do about it. I don't want to get caught up in the hysteria, but at the same time, I don't want Ryan's education to suffer this year.

Sooo...if any of you have been through anything like this and/or have any brilliant suggestions...I'm open to 'em.

And, since I haven't done this in, like, forever, here are some appropriate song lyrics for today's weather:


Got on board a westbound 747
Didn't think before deciding what to do
Ooh, that talk of opportunities
TV breaks and movies
Rang true
Sure rang true

Seems it never rains in southern California
Seems I've often heard that kind of talk before
It never rains in California
But girl don't they warn ya
It pours, man it pours

Out of work, I'm out of my head
Out of self respect, I'm out of bread
I'm underloved, I'm underfed, I wanna go home
It never rains in California
But girl don't they warn ya
It pours, man it pours

[Instrumental Interlude]

Will you tell the folks back home I nearly made it
Had offers but didn't know which one to take
Please don't tell 'em how you found me
Don't tell 'em how you found me
Gimme a break, give me a break

Seems it never rains in southern California
Seems I've often heard that kind of talk before
It never rains in California
But girl don't they warn ya
It pours, man it pours



KJ

8 comments:

TesoriTrovati said...

Hang in there Kelly. It sounds to me like you have a plan of action and now you need to rally everyone to go in the same direction. It really mystifies me that the administration is burying their heads in the sand on this one. Keep fighting for your rights for a quality education. I am right behind you.
Enjoy the day!
Erin

lunedreams said...

Loved Sonny and Cher's version of that song. And I'm proud to admit it. I watched the Sonny and Cher show religiously, and then I watched just Cher. Poor Sonny. He didn't get a post-Cher show. No Sonny show.

For your teacher problem, I would suggest caning across the buttocks, a time-honored disciplinary tradition across Southeast Asia.

Susanm said...

The principal at my son`s school last year was dreadful. My son has ADHD and anxiety and can become agressive. After being bullied for 2 weeks on the bus after school, he became agressive - her reaction to the situation made it worse and eventually we pulled him out to school for a few days. Fortunately he had some other supports and was able to get through the rest of the year. The principal did not come back and the new one (so far) seems great. What I found useful was documenting all my interactions with her, as well as talking to other parents. I quickly found out that I was not alone in having serious issues with the principal. Have you and/or the other parents met with the principal? (this is where the documentation comes in) If not, then that would be the first step. If you don`t get any satisfaction, then the next step is the school district - I don`t know the education system in CA, but in all liklihood there is someone at the district level who is responsible for the school (we have superintendants at the School Board and i had ours on speed dial. We requested meetings with the superintendant and the principal - documented everything that was promised and delivered(often not the same thing). We also have an elected Board of Trustees here - I contacted my Trustee - she was aware of the situation and I think she and the superintendant were talking. In my experience, it is about making your voices heard - all the parents who are unhappy with this teacher should voice their dissatisfaction to the highest level possible. If you can get some of the parents who had issues last year involved, even better. I have learned that if you don`t advocate for your child, no one else will, so don`t apoloigize for going ``mama bear``. Sorry for the long post - hope this is useful.

SummersStudio said...

Armageddon! What's next, mud slides? Wish I had some mum advice on the school situation. I lucked out and had great teachers all the way through for both of my children. But I've got friends who tell me horror stories. Wishing you well with it.

I LOVE color! said...

Man-oh-man I hear you! loud and clear. In my view the number one most important job in the entire world- bar none- after motherhood is* first and second grade teachers. Go lioness getum!
Be Blessed

Unknown said...

Funny thing is I was singing that song as I came over to your blog and now I feel a little old! LOL

Mamma Lion claws out here too! I am there with you but other than complain there is not much to be done about the teacher unless they endanger the kids. Been there Done That! Ya know they say they want our involvement but......well you know!

Hugs and Blessings

Amy F said...

love your posts - you are a hoot

Pretty Things said...

Holy crow, Parrot. Without knowing the exact reason for the teacher situation, I wonder if a call to the school board would help? Feel free to email me if you want.

The rain is insane.

And oh yes. Anonymous snarkers are SO not on.