Monday, May 18, 2009

Shake, Rattle and Roll!

Had a little excitement around here last night with a 4.7 earthquake. I live about 40+ miles south of the epicenter and while we definitely felt it, it had no effect or damage on anything in my area.

I disagree with the article saying it was enough to "terrify" Californians. Nope. This was a baby as earthquakes go. Slight initial shake, then a pause, then a more significant "bump" and then it was over. Actually, very short in duration especially when compared to, say, the Northridge quake. I distinctly remember that one and the feeling that it was NEVER going to stop shaking. It just went on and on and on.

I've been in So Cal since 1970 and have been through a lot of these, including three significant ones (Sylmar, Whittier-Narrows, and Northridge) and I just don't get excited by anything less than a 5.5-6.0. My one real concern was that this could be a predecessor to something bigger on another fault.

KJ

No comments: