Monday, August 02, 2004

Totally Tubular!

Wow, I took the most awesome peyote tube bracelet class from Sheilah Cleary this weekend! For those of you who are non-beaders, we learned how to weave teeny, tiny beads called Delicas (they are glass seed beads in Japan) into little beaded "tubes" that then become "beads" in and of themselves and then they are strung (along with other components) to make a bracelet or necklace. I'm doing a bracelet to start and I picked a gorgeous silver and garnet clasp so my "tubes" are all in shades of deep red (to match the garnet in the clasp) and a couple of different shades of pink. I think it's going to be yummy when done. Sheilah lives here locally in So Cal, but travels the world doing shows and teaching classes (and yes, I'm green with envy). She's off to Australia shortly for six weeks! You can check out her work and some of the kits she has for sale at http://www.shebeads.com

I'll put up a pic of my finished piece...when it's finished LOL!

I also just finished reading the latest issue of "Beadwork" magazine and am glad to see they've gotten back on track. Their last issue, IMO, sucked. They did sort of a "trash-to-treasure" thing (except I think they called it "recycled art" or something). That sort of thing just doesn't work for me. I want jewelry made of beautiful stones and glass...not old pop-tops and plastic cartons...blech. Sorry, but trash is trash IMO. Anyway, the newest issue is inspired by "antiquities" - think Egyptian, etc. And they introduced this awesome artist from Colorado who does laser engraving on shell, bone and wood pendants and beads for some really awesome, gorgeous stuff. I need to get me some REAL quick...I've already got design ideas burning holes in my head and will post finished pieces as soon as I get the pendants and get stuff made.

That's it for now!

No comments: