Wednesday, August 24, 2005

Casa d'Illin' Strikes Again

Y'know, I think I'm going to just start out each post with "Ryan is sick...again" so we can just get that out of the way right off the bat. Or, maybe I'll only post when he's NOT sick as that seems to be the more newsworthy event. I would insert a big ol' heavy "sigh" right here, but I've sighed so much lately I'm starting to hyperventilate so I'm trying to cut back on that.

So, without further ado...

Ryan is sick...again. He's had a high fever off and on since Sunday and I spent Monday and Tuesday home with him. Of course, he managed to be fever and symptom free for the hour that I took him to the doctor's office on Monday so I'm sure his chart now says something like "nice kid...too bad his mother is a paranoid hypochondriac." Hey, you'd be paranoid, too, if half your brain had leaked out your ears from 48 straight hours of children's television programming. I can now sing the theme songs to "Dora the Explorer" and "SpongeBob Squarepants" from memory and sadly, I know how to find all of "Blue's Clues."

The only bit of excitement during the last 48 hours was provided by a wackjob from a neighboring community who decided that Monday was the day for his psychotic break. The first I knew of anything being wrong was a helicopter that kept hovering right over our house for about 30 minutes. We live relatively close to a freeway so I thought there might either be an accident or some kind of police chase going on. Still, the 'copter was circling right over our heads and low enough to make the walls and windows rattle which is very unusual. Turns out that said wackjob had run his car through our neighborhood at high speed, smashed into several parked cars, wiped out some mailboxes and a fence on my neighbor's property. He then drove THROUGH one of our greenbelts, and down into our park where he abandoned his vehicle and escaped to his house. He barricaded himself in the house and had a standoff with police. The SWAT team was even called in!

And where was I while all this was going on? Upstairs changing a poopy diaper and wrestling with Ryan to get him to let me take his temperature. I eventually got both accomplished (although it cost me 2 stickers and an extra story) but I guess his howling drowned out all the car-crashing and sirens. I miss all the good stuff.

The good news is that he did take long naps both days so I was able to use that time to finish a couple of projects:

Well, normally there'd be two pictures here, but for whatever reason, Blogger has decided that today, there will be no pictures in this post. I'll have to post them separately. GRRRR!


No comments: